From: Sam Stickland (sam_ml_at_spacething.org)
Date: Mon 12 Jan 2004 - 14:24:01 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "VServer" <vserver_at_ctcministries.org>
To: <vserver_at_list.linux-vserver.org>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 1:58 PM
Subject: [Vserver] Problem running 2.4.23-vs1.22 - 2.4.24-vs1.22 -
2.4.24-vs1.23

> Here is the output of lsof -i (grep sendmail) where both the HOST and
CLIENT
> should show the same output.
>
> ----- HOST -------
> sendmail 3165 root 4u IPv4 56533 TCP *:25 (LISTEN)
                                                  ^^^^^^^^
Is this host server? It looks to me like sendmail in the hostserver is
binding to port 25 on all available IP addresses, including the IP address
the vserver will later try to use for sendmail.

You need to bind sendmail to a specific IP address in the host server.

This problem comes up all the time on the mailing list. Perhaps IP addresses
should be somehow assignable to contexts, so that even when the host-server
binds to 0.0.0.0 it doesn't bind to all the IPs (maybe just somekind of
chbind around init in the hostserver?).

Sam

> sendmail 3165 root 5u IPv4 56534 TCP *:587 (LISTEN)
> sendmail 3167 root 4u IPv4 56531 TCP localhost:10025
(LISTEN)

> ----- CLIENT -------
> sendmail 3240 root 4u IPv4 58614 TCP
christngraphics.com:10025
> (LISTEN)
>

> The new question is, how do I back out the vs1.22 patch in order to try
> vs1.21?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> RV
>

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:01:34AM -0500, VServer wrote:
> > Hello list:
> >
> > What a great project this is. Hats off guys.
> > I recently found the vserver project and quickly
> > decided to setup my box to take some abuse...
> > This was the logical solution since there are too
> > many computers in this room already.
>
> sounds great!
>
> > I have been running linux-vserver version 2.4.23-vs1.20
> > on a athlon 1.2 MHz with 1.5 GB Ram with Slackware 9.1
> > as the OS.
>
> hmm, don't know about slackware, but the rest
> sounds good to me ...
>
> > I configured 3 vserver guests (2 running Slackware Live
> > and 1 running Sentry Linux) to handle email for 3 domains.
>
> > Sendmail and the virus/spam scanning system have been
> > running beautifully on this setup.
>
> okay, so it works with vs1.20 ...
>
> > I attempted to run 2.4.23-vs1.22 as soon as it came out
> > but after the reboot, sendmail started to error out on me.
>
> > I wrote a rc.vservers script that executes on boot to bring
> > up the vserver clients.
>
> there is a runlevel script included in the userspace
> tools (/etc/init.d/vservers) this might be working
> for you too ...
>
> > Once Sendmail starts up on the clients, I get the following
> > error repeated every five minutes:

> > Dec 17 21:41:40 salvation sm-mta[1867]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
> > opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA-RX: cannot bind: Address already in use
> > Dec 17 21:41:40 salvation sm-mta[1867]: daemon MTA-RX: problem creating
SMTP